Wednesday, April 24, 2013


One of my personal goals for the Chamber is to grow our membership by showing business women and men why they should join rather than asking them or telling them to join.  I want to do the kind of work that businesses value and proactively elect to invest in.  In this day and age of limited budgets, I don't see any other way forward:  we must earn the trust of the business community rather than ask for it or expect it.

I take this mission very seriously and I know my staff and Board of Directors do as well.  We're not in this business for the good of the Chamber, we're in this business for the good of business.  When that message starts to resonate throughout the community as resoundingly as it does within the walls of our offices and meeting spaces, I'll know that our actions are speaking louder than our words.

We're already seeing signs of success.  When a longtime business owner slides me a note during a meeting that says, "I think the Chamber is doing terrific work, please send me a membership application," it's not the sale that makes my day, it's the happy customer.

Businesses join the Chamber for a number of different reasons, but often for one specific reason over all others.  Those #1 reasons vary: 1) networking, 2) exposure, 3) connections, 4) representation, 5) it's the "right thing to do."  For many, the positive outcomes of choosing membership are intangible and unquantifiable. 

If you're not a member, please keep an eye on what we're doing.  You'll see that we work hard in representing you and your needs, in delivering the best networking opportunities possible, in giving you the exposure you need to reach your customers, in connecting you to the people and resources that will move your business to the next level, and in choosing initiatives that you have identified as critical to your success.  That is how we serve you best.  The rest is up to you.

I mean it when I say thank you for your membership.  Nothing shows me that we're on the right track like your trust.

~ Katie
katie@chicochamber.com

No comments:

Post a Comment